The Hulu streaming service is now available on Apple TV. This means you can watch all your favourite TV shows and movies on your big screen for free whenever you want. You can use this method to download Hulu directly to your first, second or third-generation Apple TV.
What You Need: An Internet connection, a modern Apple TV, an iPhone/iPad/laptop with iTunes installed.
First-generation Apple TVs require a wireless network adapter. Second-generation models are 802.11n-compatible but will benefit from using a 5GHz band router if possible.
A Mac running OS X 10.7 Lion or later also works for this purpose but is not required beyond the initial setup of the Apple TV after installation of the Hulu app.
Related Article: How to Install PlayStation Vue on Apple TV
How to Install Hulu on Apple TV
1. Open iTunes on your Mac/PC and select ‘TV Shows’ from the drop-down menu on the top toolbar.
2. Scroll through your list of TV shows until you find the first season of a show that is available for free streaming on Hulu.
You can also type “Hulu” into the search box at the top right corner of iTunes to quickly find it this way.
3. Click on the first episode of that series you wish to watch, then scroll down to where it says ‘Get Episode’, click on Buy Now and confirm your purchase.
4. Once purchased, click on File > Library > Export TV Show Library..., make sure only “Entire TV Show Library” is checked and click ‘Save’.
5. Open the folder where you just exported your TV show library to, then run “Preferences.exe”. If you receive an error about not being able to find this application, download “Power ISO” from the link at the bottom of this post and follow these instructions.
Then open ‘Preferences’ within that program.
6. Click on the ‘Movies’ tab, check both boxes in front of “Automatically include … moving-media files…” near the top of this window then click ‘OK’, followed by “Yes I want to..” when it pops up asking if you’d like to save these settings for future use.
7. Go back into iTunes and delete the TV show you just bought.
8. Now, hold down CTRL on your keyboard, click on iTunes in the menu bar and select “Reload page” from the drop-down menu. This will redirect your library back to its original location.
9. Go back into “Preferences”, uncheck both boxes now under ‘Movies’ within the ‘Movies’ tab you opened earlier, followed by clicking ‘OK’. If it asks if you want to save these preferences for future use, choose yes.
Then restart iTunes again with CTRL+R or by closing it down then reopening it normally.
10. You can now login to hulu.com within a web browser of your choice and begin streaming any content you purchased back to your Apple TV.
You can also download the Hulu Plus app for iPhone/iPad anytime then stream that content to your Apple TV as well, but doing so requires you first to pay a monthly subscription fee of $7.99 USD.
You should now have a working Hulu installation on your Apple TV. Feel free to contact us if you need any support with this process, or would like to request an app/service be added to our easy installer.