Did you get the “Screen Overlay Detected” error on your android?
If yes, then you are at the right place. This error is really annoying and lots of people get it on their android phones without any clue on how to fix “Screen Overlay Detected”.
We will share different ways which you can use to fix It easily. But before that let us know what this error is and why we get it.
Table Of Content
- 1 What is Screen overlay detected?
- 2 How To Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error On Android?
What is Screen overlay detected?
According to Google Play Documentation, “This app may not work correctly because your device’s system UI itself draws over top of the app.” This means something on your device is adding more screen overlay on top of your screen.
So google play store blocks all those apps from running. This sounds very simple but in reality, this problem arises due to various reasons out of your control.
I have seen lots of people unable to fix this problem even after trying hard, but don’t worry! We will share some simple tips which you can use to fix yourself without waiting for your phone vendor or google to do it for you.
How To Fix “Screen Overlay Detected” Error On Android?
The most important thing is that there are different ways on how fix screen overlay detected errors on android. Depending upon the version of android and device manufacturer, we can choose from one of those ways to see if it works for you.
Some methods might not work for your device as they require a rooted device but all these methods are tried by many people and found to work except rooting the device. Here is a list of ways to fix the screen overlay error on android
Method 1. Disable Screen Overlay Detected For App (Rooted Phone Only)
If you are using a rooted phone, then the best way to fix the “Screen Overlay Detected” error is by disabling all apps present in your phone which show this notification.
1. Open Root Explorer or any other file explorer application on your device and go to the system/etc directory
2. Look for the build.prop file inside the etc folder and open it with a text editor (Notepad++ can be installed from play store)
3. Scroll down until you find the line “ro.build.type=userdebug”
4. Now change userdebug to the user and save it. This will reset your android version back to stock android so backup everything beforehand if required
5 . Reboot your device
6. After restarting check whether it has fixed the problem or not
Method 2. Remove All Apps Running In The Background (Non-Rooted Phone Only)
If you are not using a rooted phone, then there is another way to fix the error. This method requires quite a number of steps and it cannot be done with one click so follow all the steps and do try and let us know in the comments below.
1 . Go to your phone settings app and scroll down until you find “Apps” or “Application Manager”
2. Now tap on “All Applications” or “Running applications” depending upon which option you have on your phone
3. Now look for all apps that show overlay icons when they run in the background (usually green icons with a semi-transparent screen inside it). Just swipe left on every app and then uninstall them.
Do it for all the apps that you see in the background
3. After uninstalling these apps, reboot your device and check if you can run any other app without facing this problem again
Method 3: Check Whether Antivirus Is The Reason Behind This Error?
Another reason which I have seen people taking along to fix this issue is that they are using an antivirus on their phones. If you are using an antivirus app on your phone mine also suggest replacing it with a clean one for a better experience.
One of my friends was facing the same issue due to his antivirus so he replaced his old one with CM security, downloaded it from the play store and got rid of this error within 15 minutes.
Some antivirus apps show screen overlay error on android
If you are using an antivirus app like Avast, 360 antivirus or Malware bytes (Test it by disabling them for a while) then there is another way to solve the issue. Here is how
1. Disable your antivirus software and restart your phone. Wait for 5 minutes after restarting the phone to let the changes take place.
2. Open any game that you use to play with or run any other application that has this problem and see if it still has “Screen overlay detected”. If yes, follow the below steps
3. Go to Google Play Store and search for Task Manager, SuperSu or CM security (Also available in play store). Install any of them on your phone.
4. After installing, open the app and click on restart service so that it can check if any of its settings have something to do with this error or not. If yes, the problem should be fixed.
If you use an antivirus app like Avast, 360 antivirus or Malware bytes (Test it by disabling them for a while) then there is another way to solve the issue. Here is how
5. Go to Google Play Store and download Autostarts manager. Install this app and open it on your android phone. Make sure you allow permission when asked for permissions in the beginning of the setup
6. Now disable all apps from the autorun section
7. Restart your phone and see if everything is working properly. Do not forget to enable all the apps that you had disabled earlier
I hope you have fixed the “Screen Overlay Detected” error on your android phone. If you have any queries, questions or suggestions regarding this article please comment below. I will try to help you out as much as possible.
Also, feel free to share this article with anyone who is trying to fix the same issue