While searching for information around the world on the internet, thousands of blogs come. What actually blogs are? Well, blogs are the webpages that contain information to fulfill the searcher’s intent.
If you are thinking to start a blog too, then this article is completely for you, this complete guide has all the compulsory steps, through which you can start a successful blog moreover you can monetize it and earn some bucks too (became excited? well, its natural)
A blog actually tests your writing style and writing skills, and your skills how to attract visitors to your blog. After reading our guide you will be able to start a good blog, will all the basic things and settings present in it.
Share your thoughts, ideas, expressions and above all your thinking with the world. Let the world know which interesting information is present in your mind, and do your best to help them out in searching for their queries, questions and provide them with useful information.
Table Of Content
- 1 How To Start A Blog [Step By Step Guide]
- 1.1 Step 1. Choose Your Niche/Topic
- 1.2 Step 2. Choose Your Domain Name (.com, .net, .org, etc)
- 1.3 Step 3. Choose A Good Hosting For Your Blog
- 1.4 Step 4. Install WordPress In Your Hosting
- 1.5 Step 5. Choose a good fast loading theme
- 1.6 Step 6. Create A Nice Logo For Your Blog
- 1.7 Step 7. Write important blog pages
- 1.8 Step 8. Install Necessary Plugins
- 1.9 Step 9. Submit Sitemap To Google Search Console
- 1.10 Step 10. Add Useful Widgets
- 1.11 Step 11. Update Your Blog Frequently
- 1.12 Step 12. Promote Your Blog
How To Start A Blog [Step By Step Guide]
Without wasting further time let’s go through the steps of How to start a blog;
Step 1. Choose Your Niche/Topic
Before starting anything, you have to think and do brainstorming, especially in the case of a blog. The most important step and that almost 80% determines your success is the Topic of a blog.
In the terminology of digital marketing, the topic of a blog is known as “Niche”
Things to consider before choosing a niche;
- Make sure you know the basics about your niche
- Make sure what to post on your blog
- How will you post content
- How will you manage it along with the other activities in your daily routine
Step 2. Choose Your Domain Name (.com, .net, .org, etc)
So you have chosen your domain? Good! now lets head towards the second step. The second step is to choose your domain name.
Your domain is actually the address through which the visitors will come to your blog. Like the address of my blog is NomiBlogger.Com. So if someone wants to come to my blog some sort of information, they simply have to type my domain name along with my extension which in this case is .Com
Following measures should be taken before choosing a good domain name for your blog;
- Choose the top level domain like the .com, .net and .org extension
- Keep your domain name short and easy to remember, maybe something like 9 or fewer characters, but it doesn’t make much difference if it is lengthy
- Also, check that your domain has never been registered in the past
- If your domain is available then just hit the “Register Domain Now” button
Step 3. Choose A Good Hosting For Your Blog
After getting a well named domain, it’s time to get a good server to host your domain name there.
Hosting is actually a computer that hosts your site. All of the files of your site like the code like stuff is stored in that computer or server.
The most important thing to consider is to choose a good hosting company for your blog. Because if not chosen the right company, it may give you server issues in the future.
So better to go for a good and high-speed server, no matter if it is a bit expensive.
Step 4. Install WordPress In Your Hosting
Nowadays there are number of blogging platforms, which you can use to take the first step of your blog; like the some sort of basic setups etc.
If you ask a group of people that which blogging platform is the best, regarding the features, functions and ranking opportunities then almost 90% of them will tell you that WordPress is the best blogging platform to start a new blog for yourself.
It was mainly in the past, when people used to code for many hours and even many days to complete the setup of a new blog.
But WordPress has now given this amazing opportunity for the non-techies like me, to run a blog or website even without knowing the abc of coding.
For this just login in your hosting account. And click on “Install WordPress” and wait for the installation to get completed
WordPress has not hundreds, even not thousands but millions of plugins, that are actually a paragraph or page of code, to perfom a specific function in blogging platforms like WordPress. In short we can say that plugins make your life easier from coding.
Step 5. Choose a good fast loading theme
So after completing all of the above-mentioned steps, it’s time to give some unique look to your blog. That is called the theme of your blog. Your theme is actually how your blog looks and what is its design.
While searching for a theme for your blog, first of all get some information about that theme. Like what is the loading time, what is the avg. page size of that theme, what features does it offer & and last but not the least what customization abilities does it offer.
In my opinion, a good blog theme should have the following properties;
- It should load very fast and should have a blazing fast theme (because in according to some SEO experts the speed of your blog also helps in the ranking of your blog)
- The theme must be SEO optimized
- SEO optimized menus, widgets, headers, footers and sidebars, etc should be present
- The size of theme must not be larger, because it makes your site load slower
- Would be good if it is responsive
Nowadays most of themes are responsive, which means that it will automatically fits in the device which it is being viewed.
Step 6. Create A Nice Logo For Your Blog
Every famous brand in the world, has their unique logo. It is just like a signature of a person. So an important point to consider while making your blog is to make your custom logo too. Because when a visitor comes to your blog for some sort of information then just see the front-end, that includes your logo too.
So whenever they see your posts in anyother website or social media platform then they will only be able to identify that it is your blog by the logo.
So make sure to design or hire a graphic designer if you have some budget, for the logo.
These steps may look a little bit boring, but don’t worry after you get to the practical work. You will be really engaged in the process of making blog.
Step 7. Write important blog pages
Before hitting that publish article buttons, make sure you add some important pages in your blog. These pages contains some solid information about your blog. Like it may consists of following pages
- About Us : This page tells the viewerswho is the owner or who is the admin of the blog. So if someone wants to find out who is the real owner or who is running a particular blog then this page helps there out.
- Contact Us: This is one of the most important page in each and every site or blog. It has a contact form, where one have to enter their “name”, “email”, “subject” & “message”. So if someone wants to contact the admins of the blog, then this page helps in contacting with them. Your visitors can contact you personally through the contact us page. So make sure you add it in your blog
- Disclaimer: In this page you have to add that to which services or companies your blog is associated with. Add information like, in case of any copyright content contact me and stuff like this
Step 8. Install Necessary Plugins
As already in this article, you don’t have to code even a single line in wordpress, because there are number of plugins to get the work done for you.
Lets go through some of the important plugins that will help you make your blog faster and rank higher in search engines through SEO to get more visitors.
- Install Yoast SEO: There are thousands of plugins that work very good in making your blog fully SEO optimized. But personally, my favorite one is the Yoast SEO Plugin. Well, other plugins work best too, but because i have used this plugin on many of my sites that is why i recommend you to use this.
- Google Site Kit: Inorder to make google index your blog faster, you have to add a verification code to your blog, for which you have to go to the theme-editor and add a code there. Confused? Well, i knew, you must be thinking that many times i have mentioned that you don’t have to code even a single line but why now? Don’t worry my friend the Google Site Kit plugin is there to help you out. Simply install it and sign-in your google account via this plugin and give some permissions. And your blog will be automatically submitted in the google search console and analytics too, so that you can check the incoming traffic and their sources to your blog.
- Newsletter Plugin: Now it’s time for some interesting plugins installation. In which one is the Hello Bar plugin. After installing this plugin a banner type widget can be seen on your blog, so that your visitors and readers can signup through email. So to get a notification in their mail box whenever a new blog post is published and your content is updated
- Install Social Share Plugin: Social sharing is today one of the major ranking factors. So make sure you install a social sharing pluign in your blog, so that the visitors can share your articles with their friends loved ones.
Step 9. Submit Sitemap To Google Search Console
After installing some important plugins mentioned above, it’s time to submit the sitemap to your google search console account.
Well, the sitemap also requires knowledge of coding, but Yoast SEO Plugin comes in handy here too. Simply enable the “Yoast SEO Sitemap” option, and automatically a sitemap will be generated for your blog.
So to add your blog to sitemap follow these steps
- Open google search console
- Click on “Add Sitemap”
- Enter the URL of your blog sitemap, which is like “yourblog.com/sitemap_index.xml” in the case of Yoast.
- Click on the “Submit Now” button
- Wait for automatic fetching of all the URLs present in the sitemap
Step 10. Add Useful Widgets
A blog with just some images and articles may seem a boring to some people. So it is a good idea to add some useful widgets to your blog.
These widgets may come in handy in making your blog design and navigation easier for your visitors.
- Popular Posts: These are the posts that got the most views and traffic in the other posts and articles of your blog
- Recent Posts: These posts are those that got published just before some time
- Search For Information: Always a better idea to add a search bar to your blog so that particular information can be searched through it
- Follow On Social Media Icons: It can also be added without a widget. But if your theme doesnot support it then you can add a widget for social media icons. This will help people find your social media accounts and follow you or your blog.
Step 11. Update Your Blog Frequently
Blogging doesnt ends here after you make a blog and apply the above mentioned steps. But these steps were like only the ten percent of making a successful blog. After getting your blog ready for your visitors, you have to publish articles.
In order to provide useful information for people around the globe, constantly add articles that are related to your niche and topic. The more relevant content is published on your blog, the more good will it be in your rankings.
Step 12. Promote Your Blog
Even after constantly publishing articles and information on your blog, the process doesn’t end here. Afterward, you have to promote your blog and articles on different social media platforms like Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter, and niche relevant forums.
Because you don’t have to just sit and wait for visitors to come from google, Because even before that you have to let people know that your blog exists!